Published on April 4th, 2010 | by Kirsten Borrink11
Comfortable Shoes for Travel | Reader Question
I just found your site, via Sal at Already Pretty, and I'm completely in love!
I was wondering if you've addressed shoes for traveling. I'm going to Oktoberfest in Munich in late September and then traveling to Italy for a cousin's wedding. Obviously, I'll be doing a lot of walking!
About my feet: I have arch supports for my flat feet, which I would ideally like to put into whatever shoes I bring. But, I can manage with shoes that have arch supports built in.
My travel style is somewhat dressy-casual. Lots of comfy dresses with cardigans. I like to be dressy enough that I won't feel out of place anywhere, but without sacrificing the comfort that will allow me to walk all over a city.
You got it! I think you'll walk comfortable and in style with one or more of these options; many featuring removable footbeds or built-in arch support.
1. Naot Matai: I recommend this shoe at least once a month on Barking Dog Shoes. You can't go wrong with Naot if you have a narrow or medium width foot that needs good arch support. The Matai features a removable cork/latex footbed that accommodates an orthotic or insole. This comfortable shoe comes in 11 colors and sizes 4-11! $162 at Zappos.
3. Wolky Cloggy: Danish Wolky makes the best dress-casual walking shoes. The Cloggy features a removable footbed, but you might find it so supportive that insoles won't be needed. Roomy toe box, anatomical footbed and rocker sole make these shoes perfect for long walks. $159.95 at OnlineShoes.com.
4. Ecco Performance Yarrah: A bit more casual, however quite a few Zappos customers comment on how this lightweight shoe kept their feet supported while walking on vacations. The Ecco Yarrah features: great traction, removable textile insole with molded EVA wedge for added cushioning (or accommodates your own insole), breathable material, adjustable velcro instep strap. Runs true to size. $47.60 at 6pm.com, $83-98 at Zappos.
5. Me Too LuLu: While the LuLu may not have the arch support of the Naot or Wolky, it's lightweight, easy to pack, well-cushioned and just plain darling. Me Too ballet flats are cut more generously in the toe box than other similar styles from different brands. Also, the insole is removable. Zappos customers love the LuLu. $89 at Zappos.
9. Jambu Touring: A foot-friendly wedge slide that happens to be adorable, the Touring offers a memory foam footbed, hook and loop velcro instep strap for adjustability, and durable partially recycled rubber outsole. $113 at Zappos.
Readers, do you have a favorite travel shoe? I'd love a suggestion for #10!