Published on March 11th, 2013 | by Kirsten Borrink21
Stylish Shoes for Bunions
The original post from 2008 was deleted and replaced with a 2013 update with current footwear.
From my own experience with bunions caused by rheumatoid arthritis, I highly recommend these brands and styles. Each features a roomy toe box, soft leathers and a vamp that doesn’t cut across the bunion area.
2. Alegria Verona: Want an open-toe option for summer? The Verona is Alegria’s most popular sandal with its adjustable forefoot and instep strap, wide toe box, supportive footbed and rocker sole. $89.95 at Zappos, free shipping and returns.
3. Dansko Sam: A cute alternative to the plain jane Dansko Professional. The Sam features a soft, supportive footbed, lightweight rocker sole and it covers the bunions while giving the toes room to spread out. $120 at Zappos, free shipping and returns.
4. Arcopedico Rose: Arcopedico footwear feels like your favorite slipper, but with support. The soft leather uppers will conform to “toe bumps” like bunions and hammertoes. If you don’t like the clunky look of clogs but need a wider toe box and narrower heel, Arcopedico is for you. $139 at Zappos, free shipping and returns.
5. Ara Tacy: If you must wear a pump, the Ara Tacy is a good bet. Try the Tacy in microfiber for a more flexible fit over the bunions. A stable heel, cushioned footbed and slight platform add to the shoe’s overall comfort. $189 at Zappos, $189.95 at The Walking Company and $142.99 at OnlineShoes.com. If you’re looking for a bunion-friendly ballet flat, try the Ara Bella.
6. Wolky Ballet: A fashionable yet bunion-friendly ballet flat! You’ll see that the vamp makes an inverse V enclosing the bunions without cutting into them. Dutch Wolky makes a quality shoe with removable footbeds should you want to use a custom insert or orthotic. $149-169 at PlanetShoes.com, free shipping and returns, 17 colors available at OnlineShoes.com, $169.95.
7. Fly London Yakin: European design and comfort. Envelope the bunions in soft leathers and suedes while the rest of the foot enjoys a stable, shock-absorbing wedge heel and cushioned footbed. $170 at PlanetShoes.com, free shipping and returns.
8. Clark’s Alto Disco: A more affordable sandal option for bunions without compromising comfort. The Alto Disco features two adjustable straps for a customized fit and a nicely cushioned, supportive footbed. $75 at Zappos, free shipping and returns.