Published on April 30th, 2008 | by Kirsten Borrink2
Stylish, Comfortable Shoes for the Pregnant Woman
As an adoptive mom, I never got to experience the swollen, tired feet that accompany pregnancy. Bummer, eh? But for all of you wonderful women that are carrying babies through the heat of the upcoming summer, let me suggest a few stylish footwear options that will provide comfort and support during your 40 week journey.
1. For the working mama: Privo Step slip-on. A closed-toe option with decorative cut-outs, the Privo Step has a shock-absorbing Soleassage TM footbed. That’s a fancy word for cushiony little bumps that massage your foot. Privo’s tend to run a bit large, so if you order your normal size, you should find they accommodate your swollen foot well. $84 at Zappos.
2. For the casual mama: Birkenstock Gizeh. Ok, I really tried to stay away from the Birkenstock’s, but what better footwear to support stressed-out arches? Plus, wouldn’t these look so cute with a hot pink pedicure? $74 at Zappos, $69.95 at OnlineShoes.com (comes in red and silver too).
3. For the casual mama who doesn’t like posts between her toes, but favors a slip-on: Dansko Della. If you’ve never tried Dansko, why wait any longer? Now’s the time when your feet need extra cushion and support and good posture is so important. The rocker sole lets your foot rock forward gently and naturally alleviating pressure on your forefoot. I find the Dansko sandals run a bit small, so order up if you’re a half size. I’m a 10 and wear a 41 in Dansko sandals. $124 at Zappos, and currently $69.99 at OnlineShoes.com, $63.25 at 6pm.com for black and brown.
4. For the sporty mama: Tsubo Saiph. Have older kids you need to keep up with but sick of your ratty old tennies? The Tsubo Saiph is a fashion forward sport Mary Jane with an adjustable hook and loop closure and supportive footbed. $84 at Zappos.
5. For the hip mama who likes some elevation: Kork-Ease Original Wedge. The Kork-Ease platform sandal once popular in the 70’s is experiencing a 21st century comeback. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you have to give up heels completely, just try a sturdy platform wedge. If the original wedge height looks too high, try the Kork-Ease low-rider and make sure to check out the fun, fruity colors of the Ava II cork wedge. $179 at Zappos.
6. For the fit mama: Earth Pacific. All right. I know. Not so high on the style-meter, right? Earth shoes can turn the most diminuitive of feet into clown clodhoppers, but hear me out. The Kalso Negative Heel Technology shifts your weight back taking the pressure off the small bones, metatarsals if you will, of your forefoot. If you’re further into your pregnancy and find your balance completely off, Earth shoes may be just the thing to realign your body and tone up your leg muscles at the same time. $113 at Zappos.