Published on November 2nd, 2008 | by Kirsten Borrink0
8 Stylish Bunion-Friendly Shoes
Update September 2009: See my most recent post about stylish shoes for bunions!
I spent a little time over the weekend reading customer reviews at Zappos to find the most bunion-friendly shoes for fall. Keeping style in mind, I chose eight comfortable shoes in different styles and heel height to feature on BarkingDogShoes. I may have told you before, but I was scheduled for bunion surgery two years ago but opted not to go through with it since we were getting ready to adopt a baby and I knew I couldn't manage caring for a newborn while recovering on crutches. I'm so glad I didn't go through with it. Although I still have bunions as a result of joint erosion from rheumatoid arthritis, I no longer have PAIN due to wearing the RIGHT shoes. My wish for you is that you too can alleviate bunion pain by finding the right pair of shoes.
1. Aerosoles Army Slip-on: See? The vamp doesn't cut across the top of the forefoot where bunions wait to be excoriated. I can say from experience that the leather or suede uppers on Aerosoles shoes are soft and gentle on the bunions. $58 at Zappos, free shipping both ways.
2. Arcopedico New Queen II: Soft leathers and cushioned supportive footbed characterize Arcopedico footwear. The New Queen is a great choice for those with narrow feet as the toggle feature provides a customized fit across the midfoot and heel. Not fond of the style? Take a look at the hip, Camper-ish Arcopedico Rose.
3.Rieker Anti-Stress R0504: The upper looks like leather but is actually a man-made stretch leather that molds to the foot therefore accommodating bunions comfortably. Rieker makes quality European footwear and spares no comfort technology when it comes to arch support, metatarsal support, cushioned footbed and flexible outer. $98 at Zappos.
4. SoftSpots Aurora: This pretty mule comes in narrow, medium, w i d e and W I D E widths and has a patented "pillow top" footbed of memory foam to absorb shock. $79 at Zappos.
5. Keen Portola: Wide toe box, removable footbed to accommodate orthotics, cushioned footbed and those good ol' Keen toe bumpers. Eight colors on sale for $75.60 at Zappos.
6. Soft Style Karavan II:For those of you that need an affordable pump to get you through that job interview, business meeting or any occasion that requires a bit of dress up. I'm not sure the exact reason why, but quite a few customers find this pump comfortable for all day wear and a few commented that their bunions weren't aggravated in the Soft Style Karavan II. $48 at Zappos.
7. SoftSpots Mandy: Another comfortable Mary Jane pump that come in narrow, medium, w i d e and W I D E widths. Customers mention that if they order the wide, it accommodates the bunions without slipping off the heel. $72 at Zappos.
8. Ara Toulouse-St. 43426: Although there are no customer reviews on this ankle boot yet, I can tell you that Ara footwear is made with YOUR bunions in mind…well, at least mine! Read my review on the Ara Bari skimmer to learn more about the fit and comfort. $183 at Zappos.
Barking Dog Road-Tested Shoes for Bunions and Related Posts:
- Wolky Jewel Sandal
- Comfortable Shoes for Bunions
- Earth Solar Mary Jane–On Sale!
- Aravon Mia: By New Balance
- Dansko Professional