Published on September 18th, 2011 | by Kirsten Borrink14
Top 10 Comfortable, Stylish Flats for Fall 2011
Finding a comfortable flat is more difficult than finding a comfortable heel. Do you agree? Perhaps I feel that way because of my arch issues; one high, the other fallen and semi-corrected with surgery. Flat shoes tend to be lacking in any kind of arch support. I'd just as soon walk barefoot on the pavement. I tried my best to find a few solutions to the arch-less flat keeping in mind style and fit–the first five shoes come in multiple widths. But I could really use some reader help. If you've found a flat that merges comfort, support and style, please leave a comment below.
1. For feet of all sizes and widths! From 4 to 13, AA to EE. According to customer reviews, doesn't aggravate bunions. Moderate arch support, good cushioning. Ros Hommerson Miracle, $98.95.
2. Budget-friendly flat (it's man-made leather). Narrow to wide widths, comfortable footbed. Wider than average toe box. Lifestride Decatur, $49.99.
3. Wide feet rejoice! This trendy cross-strap by Walking Cradles comes in sizes 5-13, medium, wide and extra wide. Cushioned footbed with flexible sole. Walking Cradles Elite "Rena," $145.
4. More arch support than your normal flat. This quilted number by Vaneli comes in sizes 4-13, four widths. Vaneli Serene, $105.
5. An eco-friendly, sporty moc that comes in medium and wide widths. Timberland Earthkeepers Caska, $85.
6. No reviews yet, but this new style by Gentle Souls just looks comfortable. Supple deerskin lining and flaxseed pillows embedded in the footbed for customized cushioning. Gentle Souls Belody, $150.
7. By the looks of this flat, you wouldn't think it would score high marks for comfort, but of the 39 customer reviews, 33 awarded the shoe a 5. Accolades for this flat include: no rubbing or pinching, flexible sole, affordable, true to size, soft upper. Anne Klein Bambam, $69.
8. Another great turn-out by Me Too. More arch support than the regular flat. Cushioned footbed and flexible sole. Me Too Legend, $79.
9. A flat with a removable insole that may just fit your custom orthotic? Or better yet, I read a customer review that mentioned inserting an arch support under the footbed. The mesh and nubuck upper make the flat breathable and lightweight; great for travel. Patagonia Maha Breathe, $80.
10. Not exactly a flat, but some of us just can't go a moment without excellent arch support or our custom orthotics. This one's for us. This style by Dansko features a removable EVA insole to accommodate a custom orthotic, roomy toe box, slip-resistant rubber sole. Dansko Kitty, $130.
How about you? Have you found a comfortable flat for problem feet? Please advise!