Published on January 10th, 2013 | by Kirsten Borrink4
Comfortable Shoes for Healthcare Professionals
Hey medical professionals, I love you ALL. You’ve treated me kindly and competently over the years as I’ve sought treatment for my RA. Your compassion may seem to go unnoticed, but that warm blanket you brought during my infusion turned my clinical appointment into an almost-spa day. Taking interest in my family as I tell you about my boys makes me feel like a person, not just a patient. During my up days, you cheer me on and during my painful flares you’ve let me cry on your shoulder. Thank you.
I know your shifts are long, tedious and exhausting. How do you do it? Perhaps you’ve found a shoe that carries you through your hurried days in comfort. Some of you have discovered that Dansko works well for you while others stay true to New Balance. Let me, as your appreciative patient, provide six more “medical grade” options (footwear with good support, non-slip soles and easy-t0-clean uppers). For more helpful suggestions, turn to our Facebook fan page for a recent discussion of comfortable shoes for healthcare professionals.
- Dansko Work Wonders “Camellia” (top photo): Do you find regular Dansko Professional clogs too heavy? Do you roll your ankle in them? Then you might want to give Dansko’s new Work Wonders clogs a shot. From reading initial reviews, they’re more lightweight and lower to the ground than the Professional clog. What’s more, they have a removable footbed to accommodate most orthotics, they’re slip-resistant and have easy-to-clean leather uppers. Do you have a narrow heel and walk right out of regular Danskos? Again, from reviews, I gather the heel on the Work Wonders is narrower than the Professional. Here’s an informative review by Kati at Nurse Eye Roll.
- Nurse Mates Lacey (middle, left photo): Prefer a lace-up shoe for adjustability if feet swell? Take a look at the Nurse Mates Lacey. The woven upper on the Lacey is stain-resistant and the sole is slip-resistant. A removable footbed may accommodate a custom orthotic. Available in medium and wide widths. $70 at Zappos, $72.99 from Scrubs&Beyond.com.
- Klogs Naples or Mission (middle, right photo): Another alternative to Dansko clogs. Both styles are available in sizes 5-14, medium and wide widths and have removable insoles. Check out the entire Klogs collection of work and duty footwear with slip-resistant outsoles at Zappos, Amazon (special deals), and 6pm.com (discounted styles).
- Alegria Kayla and Keli (lower left photo): The support of the Alegria cork-latex footbed with the lab-rated slip-resistance of a work and duty shoe: both good choices if you have hallux limitus as the sole is fairly rigid. In typical Alegria fashion, both the Kayla and Keli come in lots of groovy and colorful patterns, as well as neutrals. The Kayla is available in medium and wide widths for $119.95 at Zappos, the Keli is also $119.95 at Zappos. Find special deals on the Alegria Professional line at Amazon.
- Nurse Mates Adela (lower right photo): A non-slip, non-clog option! A pillow-top insole cushions the foot from heel to toe. A double gore vamp allows for easy on and off. Available in medium and wide widths from Zappos for $64. Also available for $65.99 from Scrubs&Beyond.com.
- Timberland PRO Renova (feature photo): Sadly it seems this style is being discontinued and I’m not sure why. The PRO Renova is a popular choice for medical professionals with its cradled heel, arch support, cushioned footbed and rocker sole. Pick up a pair while you can. $120 at Zappos, $68-120 at Amazon.
- There’s always Crocs, but these are way more professional than the holey kind. The Crocs Mercy Work (not pictured above) features an enclosed heel, slip-resistant outsole and secure-fitting backstrap. The Mercy Work’s toebox is slightly narrower than traditional Crocs–which provides a sleeker look. Customers seem to agree that after a few wearings, they stretch a little, conforming to the foot. These Crocs are an affordable alternative to Dansko! $45 at Zappos, $24-49 at Amazon.
- One more addition that I just discovered: Skechers for Work “Sure Track” slip-on. Do you like the comfort of the Skechers Go Walk shoe but need a non-slip sole? The Sure Track might be a sure thing for you. A removable memory foam insole and shock-absorbing EVA outsole cushions the joints while walking on hard floors. $40-90 at Amazon, $59.99 at Famous Footwear, $69.99 at Shoebuy.