Published on April 17th, 2013 | by Kirsten Borrink19
Stylish Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis
Of all the itis-es in the foot malady category, plantar fasciitis has to be the most irritating, hard-to-treat, recurring pain in the…well, heel. Roll your foot over tennis balls in the morning, wear a straight-jacket contraption for your foot at night, but what about during the day when you must actually wear shoes? Here are eight comfortable options (most casual, some dressier) that will cradle the heel, support the arches and give your toes room to spread out. Notice all have a bit of a heel from 1″ to 2 1/2″ so your heel won’t be flat on the ground…ouch.
1. Dr. Weil for Orthaheel “Zeal”: Aggressive arch support with a deep heel cup in a sandal! Great for plantar fasciitis and may be a good bet for hallux rigidus as the sole is more rigid than flexible. Update July 2014: Orthaheel is now known as Vionic with Orthaheel technology. Their collection of supportive footwear continues to grow every season. Check out the new styles!
2. Alegria Pesca: This newer Alegria style features a mild rocker sole (1 1/4 heel height) to reduce heel and forefoot pressure and a cork and memory foam footbed that conforms to your foot shape with wear. A good fit for medium to wide feet.
3. Earthies Bindi: If you must wear a ballet-flat type shoe, this is it. The Bindi has a cupped heel and cushioned footbed with built-in arch support. The heel has a little lift at 1 1/4″ so really isn’t flat at all.
4. Chaco has a reputation for alleviating PF pain and discomfort, but up until now there were outdoorsy sandals and a few chunky closed-toe options. Enter the Coral Ana , a more streamlined mary jane with the trademark LUVSEAT footbed created with the assistance of a certified pedorthist. Updated July 2014: The Chaco Coral Ana is discontinued. Try the Chaco Gala MJ or Greer for a similar look and feel.
5. Sanita Dawn: New for Spring 2013, the Dawn comes from Sanita’s Daisy collection of sandals with soft, contoured footbeds with good arch support and lightweight rocker soles.
6. Haflinger Oyster: If you have a pair of Haflinger boiled wool clogs, you know how wonderfully supportive they are–a deep heel cup keeps the foot stable. Why not invest in a pair of summer sandals with the same footbed?
7. Dansko Ainsley: Need to wear custom orthotics? Remove the contoured footbed in the Ainsley and you’re set. The Ainsley is good for those with high insteps too with its adjustable velcro closure. Note the customer reviews at Zappos; quite a few PF sufferers love this shoe for all-day comfort.
8. Naot Future: I continue to be impressed by Naot’s ability to put out sometimes funky, sometimes beautiful yet always foot-friendly shoes and boots. With over 500 styles to choose from, Naot’s footbed will alleviate discomfort from PF, Morton’s Neuroma, bunions, arthritis. I chose to feature one of their dressier styles, the Future with a 1 1/2″ heel, adjustable velcro strap (buckle is purely decorative) and best fits a narrow to medium. Update: Quartz leather is available at Amazon.
How about you? Do you have a favorite shoe that alleviates your plantar fasciitis heel pain? Leave a comment below and let us know or join the Facebook discussion!