BarkingDogShoes

Comfortable Sandals

Published on June 30th, 2017 | by Kirsten Borrink

Closed Toe Sandals: All The Best, From Basic To Beautiful

We’ve recently received several reader requests for closed toe sandals.  Maybe you have a physical or medical reason for needing to protect your toes, have toenail issues you’re not wanting to share with the world, generally dislike the appearance of your feet, or just get lazy about pedicures.  If so, you too might be looking for sandals with a comfortable amount of coverage.  So here are our recommendations for cute, comfortable closed toe sandals to suit any occasion:

Closed Toe Sandals : Ahnu Malini

Ahnu Malini

Fisherman-inspired sandals let the breezes in while covering the toes and the Ahnu Malini does that and more! An ergonomic cork-wrapped footbed provides moderate arch support while a roomy toe box accommodates bunions. Available at Zappos and Amazon.

Closed Toe Sandals : Spring Step Lizzie

Spring Step Lizzie

No one will ever suspect ugly toes while concealed in these cuties. The Spring Step Lizzie features a cork and latex midsole, 1 1/2″ wedge heel and a perforated leather upper (just know that their navy color is a dark turquoise, almost teal). Available at Zappos and Shoes.com.

Closed Toe Sandals : Naot Kata

Naot Kata

The Naot Kata is not only lovely to behold, it’s a relief to wear with its removable cork and latex footbed with enhanced arch support and padded heel cup. The soft leather uppers won’t aggravate bunions or hammertoes while the shock-absorbing outsole cushions joints on impact. If you must wear a custom orthotic, the Naot Kata will conceal it well. Available at Zappos and Nordstrom.

Closed Toe Sandals : El Naturalista Leaves

El Naturalista Leaves N5001

Our personal favorite of the bunch!  The El Naturalista Leaves will  support your feet while providing height without sacrificing comfort. The cork midsole and cushioned insole plus 1″ platform combine for all-day comfort. Available at Zappos and Amazon.

Closed Toe Sandals : Earth Lynx

Earth Lynx

The Earth Lynx closed-toe sandal wins the “Pretty Shoe for Hard-to-Fit Feet” award. Customers with bunions, hammertoes, plantar fasciitis and arch issues leave 5-star reviews for the Earth Lynx. Available in a size 12 and two widths from Zappos, The Walking Company and Amazon.

Closed Toe Sandals: Dansko Maureen

Dansko Maureen

What do you get when you combine a clog and a sandal? The Dansko Maureen! If you suffer from hallux limitus (stiff big-toe due to arthritis or injury), a rocker sole is recommended to take the pressure off the forefoot…and the Maureen has it. If you associate Dansko with hard insoles, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the cushioned insole and soft microfiber lining. Available at Zappos and The Walking Company.

Closed Toe Sandals: Sam Edelman Lara

Sam Edelman Lara

When the occasion calls for elegance and your toes aren’t having any part in it, strap on the Sam Edelman Lara d’orsay pump. A moderate 2″ heel, scalloped topline and slim ankle strap will dress up even the dowdiest feet. Available at Nordstrom, and Zappos.

Honorable mention: Keen Rose sandal for outdoor wear, David Tate Nelly for big and small, wide and narrow feet, Aerosoles Keep Track for an affordable option, and be sure to check out Pikolinos Puerto Vallarta collection (most are closed-toe sandals and they’re not only gorgeous, but comfortable too).

About the Author

17 Responses to Closed Toe Sandals: All The Best, From Basic To Beautiful

1. cedar says:

I can recommend Naot Rongo…….very comfortable.

And Cobb Hill Ireland has been calling my name…..

• Kirsten Borrink says:

We almost included the Cobb Hill Ireland. It seems to be sticking around. Glad they’re not discontinuing it.

2. Susan Hysen says:

Love this site! Your reviews are so helpful! I would add the Alegria Jemma very pretty and comfortable.

3. Danielle says:

The Spring Step Lizzie is *amazing* — I own it in three colors!

4. Elaine says:

Oh, thank you so much from one of the people who requested this. That One Ugly Toenail looks forward to some new sandals soon.

5. Jeanne Thomas says:

Yes, yes yes! Thank you!
    –All afflictions mentioned above.
    I can only wear my comfy Altras so many places, you know…… 🙂

6. Cedar says:

It looks like the Naot Kata is solid in the front part of the lighter color, but looks like mesh in the brown color. Do you know is correct? I’d love to have the light tan if it is mesh, not solid. Thank you.

• cedar says:

Never mind……the question was on zappos and I am correct about the brown being mesh but not the light tan. 🙁

7. Lib says:

I love reading your reviews. After breaking my foot I find shoe shopping much more difficult. Unfortunately the prices of some of these shoes is way out of reach for a lot of us.

• Kirsten Borrink says:

Always try Amazon! I’ve often found they mark down the fastest and still offer prime shipping on many styles!

• Bonnie says:

I just received a pair of Romika Nadine 10 fashion sneakers in red from Amazon after reading about them on your blog. They were $29.00 – and other places are $130.00! So yes – check Amazon!! (And it included prime shipping.)

• Kirsten Borrink says:

That’s awesome–what do you think of them??

• Bonnie says:

I like them! They are not as comfortable as some of my other brands of comfort shoes (which, unfortunately, is all I can wear now), but for a fashion sneaker they are good. I wore them for the first time today for about 3 hours running around with grandchildren at the science museum. My feet are fine! I may use an insert at some point for extra comfort but they are fine without too. I really appreciate your blog, Kristin. I have purchased several shoes based on your recommendations. Thanks so much for working so hard to help so many who definitely need it! Have a great day.

• Kirsten Borrink says:

SO glad to hear, Bonnie! When people complain that comfort shoes are just too expensive, I’ll share your story. Try Amazon every time…

8. Nicole says:

Can anyone recommend a hurache sandal/shoe that actually has arch support? I love the look of the Nisolo Ecuador, but it looks flat as a pancake..