Published on | by0
Barking Dog Shoes Gift Guide 2015
Still looking for that just-right gift for mom, daughter, aunt or yourself? See my nine foot-friendly picks from supportive house slippers to stylish compression socks to shearling insoles…
- Birkenstock shearling insoles: I’d never seen these until this fall, but what a terrific addition to winter boots that need more support. The cork-latex base provides excellent arch and metatarsal support while cradling the heel. The soft shearling liner keeps feet warm and dry. $59.95 at FootwearEtc.com, free shipping.
- ABEO Shearling collection at The Walking Company: Similar in looks to Ugg Australia boots, but with built-in orthotics. Water-resistant twinface sheepskin uppers with a genuine shearling lining wicks away moisture. The ABEO Lite collection feature removable footbeds to accommodate personal orthotics. Many styles currently on sale for under $100 with free shipping.
- Blu-Q socks: These “Coffee Monster” socks are the most benign, least irreverent of the Blu-Q sock collection. Have fun picking out a pair for snarky friends and family.
- Keen Howser II slippers: If you have orthotics, you can easily place them in the Keen Howser and they’ll stay put. However, these are pretty supportive on their own. A memory foam insole with medium arch support provides relief from plantar fasciitis pain. A non-marking rubber outsole allows the Howser to go on quick trips outdoors. $75 at Zappos, $60-75 at Amazon, free shipping and returns.
- Icebug Studded Traction boots: For the lovable klutz in your life. These boots are the bomb.com, as my son would say. The sole is studded with 16 carbide tips that provide superior traction on slippery surfaces. The boot rides like a running shoe, cushioned with moderate arch support and room for toes to spread out. A fleece lining provides warmth down to -4 fahrenheit. The style featured above is the Icebug Ivalo with a zip-up front–easy for elderly or arthritic hands. I recommend the Icebug Metro ankle boot with side zipper and the Icebug Ivalo mid-calf boot. Both run between $110-199 at Amazon with free shipping and returns.
- Sockwell chevron compression socks: A stylish hug for your aching legs, Sockwell socks provide light to moderate compression with a seamless toe. Amazon offers 13 different colors of chevron patterns for $19-27 with free shipping and returns.
- Silk Feet bladeless exfoliating microscreen: I spent over $30 on one of those Amope roller files and it does an ok job at buffing up my heels, but this under $10 gizmo looks like it would do the same if not better job at exfoliating dry winter feet. A great stocking stuffer idea. Currently $7.92 at Amazon with free shipping.
- & 9: The Holy Grail of house slippers, Haflinger and Giesswein. Made in Germany, Haflinger boiled wool house slippers feature 100% boiled wool uppers, contoured latex arch support and are machine-washable. $79 at Zappos, $62-80 at Amazon (available in earth and gray tones), free shipping and returns. See the whole range of Haflinger slippers (cats, sheep, giraffes and even coffee) at Amazon. Made in Austria, the Giesswein Vent lodge slipper features a removable cork and latex footbed that molds to the foot’s shape and provides a high level of arch support (accommodates orthotics also). A waterproof, treaded rubber outsole allows for trips to the mailbox and beyond. $134 at Zappos, $117-134 at Amazon.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays…and a silent night for your barking dogs. XXOO, Kirsten.