Published on November 23rd, 2013 | by Kirsten Borrink6
Best Shoes for Nurses
1. Danskos (Dansko Professional Art Palette shown above):
Of course these would be on my list. They’ve kind of dominated the healthcare shoe world. On an average shift, at least half of my co-workers are in Danskos. I became converted when I wore through my second pair of shoes in the same year and knew I had try something different. They have fantastic arch support and a very professional look to them. They come in tons of different styles and colors so you’re practically guaranteed to find a pair that appeals to you. Cons- breaking them in takes time. Don’t make the mistake I made and wear them for the first time during a 12 hour shift. Your feet will not enjoy that.
*Dansko has some new shoes coming out soon! It’s a comfort sneaker that I get to try out later this month, and I can’t wait!
2. Athletic shoes:
For all the people who don’t care for Danskos, a nice pair of comfortable sneakers can be perfect for work. You can get them in any color, any shape, and find them at any store. There are so many nurses I know who don’t wear anything special, they just find a pair of tennis shoes that they like. One downside is that they’re hard to sanitize if body fluid ends up on then… just saying. A word of caution: Converse looks cute on Grey’s Anatomy, but they’re flat and your feet are aching halfway through a shift.
Timberland is typically known for making boots, but they’ve branched out into a professional series for those in the healthcare setting. I’ve been wearing their Timberland Pro Renova Professional Slip-on shoes to work for over a month now and they might be my new favorites! The first time I saw them I suspected they were another Dansko-wannabe, but these are SO different! They have a nice, wide support (as opposed to Dansko’s more narrow shoe) and the heel cushion is incredible. I can’t emphasize this enough, my heels feel like they have clouds underneath them.
The one con so far: they haven’t gotten rid of that new-shoe squeak when I walk on waxed floors. Other than that, I’m sold! (I can’t seem to find a website that still carries the light grey ones I have, but there’s a blue one and pewter one that are just as cute!)
Thank you, Anna!
A few more recommendations based on my experience and that of my neighbor, Christine, the super RN:
- Alegria Dayna with excellent arch support, rocker sole and roomy toe box. Accommodates orthotics and comes in wide widths.
- Dansko Pro XP: same rocker sole and roomy toe box as the Professional, but more lightweight with a cushioned footbed.
- Sanita Professional Pearl: Sanita used to make the rocker soles for Dansko and continue to make their own Professional clog.
- Crocs Mercy Work: All the comfort of regular Crocs but with a non-slip sole.
- Spring Step Professional Florence: More affordable than Dansko, but not as much arch support.
- Ahnu Jackie Pro: Cute slip-on with good support and a non-slip sole–good choice for those that dislike the clog look.