Published on September 5th, 2013 | by Kirsten Borrink50
Hallux Rigidus Shoes (and Hallux Limitus) – 5 Solid Options
Do you have pain and stiffness in your big toe when walking? Do you have a bump on the top of your big toe joint that looks like a bunion, but on top of the toe instead of the side? You may have hallux limitus (or the more drastic hallux rigidus). There are a few causes of this degenerative condition from a congenital foot abnormality to an inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis. Recently, three readers have sent me emails requesting help in finding somewhat stylish hallux rigidus shoes to help their big toe pain.
- Still searching for an attractive comfort shoe to accommodate my arthritis big toe. Most are ugly and I am frustrated…
- I have a closet full of stylish, and what I thought, decently supportive shoes. However, I have been diagnosed with Hallux Limitus (ballerina toe) and am looking for stiff soled, yet stylish casual shoes. This is such a blow to my vanity. Your website gives me hope there might be enough variety of shoes that fit the bill? Any suggestions from those in the same situation trying to save their big toe joints?
- I have fibromyalgia, hallux limitus, plantar fasciitis and the start of tailor bunions. In otherwords, I’m pretty miserable! Any thoughts on shoes you’ve come across? Looking for anything from casual to walking/running.
Friends, I hate to say it, but hallux limitus will in fact limit us, as far as stylish shoes are concerned. We may have to redefine what we consider “stylish.” The best footwear for this condition will have a roomy and somewhat high toe box as to put undue pressure on the big toe joint. Also, a rigid sole keeps the big toe from bending past its limited range of motion…ouch. And you’ve probably figured out that heels are only a huge pain in the big toe. Here are five hallux rigidus shoes to try (with some honorable mentions at the end). Let me know if anything works for you! Also, if you’ve found a shoe that helps alleviate your hallux pain, do leave a comment and let us know. Thank you kindly.
1. Alegria shoes: Launched in 2008, Alegria has taken the comfort shoe world by storm. All Alegria shoes feature a contoured footbed of cork and latex covered in a layer of memory foam (it’s removable too to accommodate orthotics), wide toe box and a rocker sole-the perfect combination for hallux limitus or rigidus. Alegria has a style for you from sandals to slip-ons to boots. Prices range from $89.95-139.95 at Zappos, Amazon, and Nordstrom. Find a deal at 6pm.com.
2. Clark’s WaveWalk collection: It’s the WaveWalk™ technology that makes these shoes a good option for feet with hallux limitus. The curved rocker sole eases the feet through the stride while cushioning the joints and absorbing shock. Available in sizes 5-12, three widths for $120-140 at ClarksUsa.com, Zappos, and Amazon,
3. Naot Nautilus: The Nautilus is a new addition to Naot’s Shell collection of footwear for medium to wide feet featuring a single-unit polyurethane platform sole to propel the foot through the stride. The cork and latex anatomical footbed is removable. $180 at Zappos.
4. Dansko Tilda: If you must wear a heel or hate the look of clogs, try the Dansko Tilda from their new Ventura line (which is replacing the Sausalito line). The Tilda features a two-inch lightweight PU heel with a 3/4″ platform. The footbed, like the Sausalito collection, is cushioned with memory foam. This style runs small, so order accordingly. Update 9/2015: The Tilda is a discontinued style from Dansko’s Ventura collection. See the Tamara–it’s the new clog from the same collection.
5. Dromedaris Macaw: Wide toe box, rocker sole, sturdy PU outsole, cushioned removable footbed–this shoe has it all. $149.95 at Shoebuy, free shipping and returns. The Macaw is discontinued as of 9/2015–see the Dromedaris Falcon, a similar style on same footbed and outsole.
Honorable mention (didn’t make the cut, but might work for you): Tsubo Asmik, Spring Step Burbank, Wolky Emma, Wolky Strap Cloggy, Jambu Scarlet (and other Jambu wedge styles), Kalso Earth Shoes, Klogs USA.