Published on May 1st, 2014 | by Kirsten Borrink18
5 Graceful Flats With Arch Support (Yes, it’s true!)
Flats with arch support could be considered an oxymoron. Arch support is curvy, flats are flat. But a few shoe companies are sneaking in as much as they can without forcing the shoe out of the “flat” category into “comfort loafer.” I’m not promising the same kind of support you’ll find in your New Balance tennies, but your arches will notice anywhere from moderate to excellent support in one of these options:
1. Earthies Bindi: The Bindi is back this spring in new colors and here’s the rub: This pretty flat will support the arches and cushion the heel, but it might irritate bunions. If you don’t have serious bunion/hammertoe issues, you’ll most likely love the Bindi. Update: Since publication, the Earthies Bindi has been discontinued, but we’re loving the new Earth Capri, a pretty flat with many of the same comfort features.
2. Aetrex Jodi: As an Amazon customer puts it, these are “fashionably comfy.” Aetrex footwear incorporates a Lynco orthotic footbed that supports the arch and cradles the heel. This particular style receives the American Podiatric Medical Association seal of approval. I often find that when a shoe company focuses on fancy footbeds, they skimp on other materials, but the Jodi is made of premium quality leather and suede. Available in medium widths, sizes 5-11 at Zappos and Amazon, free shipping and returns.
3. Taryn Rose Bryan: Founded by an orthopedic surgeon, Taryn Rose footwear is designed with room for the toes to wiggle, substantial arch support and a layer of PORON® Performance Cushioning which is breathable and won’t break down with wear. Sizes 5-11, medium width at Nordstrom, Amazon, and OnlineShoes.com.
4. Abeo Terrie: A classic ballet flat with enhanced arch support and a foam cushioned footbed, the Abeo Terrie is one of The Walking Company’s best-selling shoes.
5. Vionic Spark Willow: This pretty flat with arch support sparkles and shines with micro-stud embellishments. A firm yet flexible EVA orthotic insert supports the arches and is removable if you’d like to try it with your own orthotic. An elastic topline provides some stretch. Available at Zappos, Amazon, and 6pm.com.