BarkingDogShoes

Shoes for Morton's Neuroma

Published on March 15th, 2015 | by Kirsten Borrink

Comfortable, Stylish Shoes for Morton’s Neuroma [9 shoes]

See the slideshow at the bottom of this page which will be helpful to know whether the pain, burning and discomfort in your forefoot is, in fact, a Morton’s Neuroma.

I recall experiencing a bout of Morton’s Neuroma when my Rheumatoid Arthritis was active and my shoes were too tight in the forefoot. It felt like a was stepping on a stone every time I went for a walk; with a burning discomfort located between my third and fourth toe. It was never that serious and resolved by switching to footwear with a wide toe box and good arch support to take pressure off the forefoot. But I know folks who have suffered with this condition to no avail and have actually turned to surgery to remove the neuroma. And of course, custom orthotics may be in order by your podiatrist or orthopedic, but what about footwear? Are there shoe brands that make room for the toes to spread while providing adequate cushioning and support from heel to arch to toes (and don’t look overly orthopedic)?

This is what I’d recommend, but I’m always open to hearing from you, dear readers!

shoes for morton's neuroma

1. KLOGS. Don’t let the brand name and logo turn you off (as cloddy as it sounds), their styles are updated and fresh while maintaining tried and true comfort and support. With high and wide toe boxes, removable contoured footbeds and shock-absorbing and slip-resistant outsoles, your neuroma should quiet down to a dull roar! I’ve featured my favorite biker-style clog, the Harley, in the larger photo above, but check out all their styles at Zappos and Amazon.

shoes for morton's neuroma

Kalso Earth Shoes

2. Kalso Earth Shoes: Earth brands split into three different sub-companies a few years ago: Kalso Earth Shoes, Earth and Earthies. I’m recommending the original Kalso Earth shoes for Morton’s Neuroma due gentle sole incline that sets the heel slightly lower than the toes–this reduces pressure on the ball of foot when walking. The toe boxes are roomy and arch support is excellent.  Amazon has some great deals! Styles featured above: Peace (left), Proser (upper right), Solar (lower right).

shoes for Morton's Neuroma

Ziera shoes

3. Ziera used to be Kumfs. Aren’t you glad they switched names? I only wish they weren’t so hard to find in the US (they’re a New Zealand company). Two podiatrists founded the company 6o years ago with a philosophy that “the last comes first.” The last is the mold around which the footwear is formed. Ziera custom designs their lasts for maximum comfort and good fit. Using top-grade leathers, strong steel shanks, underfoot cushioning and support, and removable insoles to accommodate orthotics, Ziera creates footwear that not only looks good, but feels good on aching feet. Ziera footwear is available in the US at FootwearEtc.com and The Walking Company. I’ve featured three styles from their collection (one heel, if you must!): the Paris slingback, Dimity sandal and Rascal mary jane.

arcopedico

4. Arcopedico: Made in Portugal, Arcopedico footwear features soft and stretchy uppers combined with moderate support and cushioned insoles. Some styles even feature a rocker sole that will take pressure off the forefoot. Available at Zappos and FootwearEtc.com. Find special deals at Amazon.

Do you have a favorite shoe that has helped alleviate the discomfort from Morton’s Neuroma? I posed this question to readers on my Facebook page. Here’s a list of recommended brands:

About the Author

Blogger, Wife, Mom, Dog-Lover, Coffee Drinker, Owl Watcher.

62 Responses to Comfortable, Stylish Shoes for Morton’s Neuroma [9 shoes]

1. Caen says:

Thank you for doing an article for neuroma sufferers! I’d really like to know if anyone can recommend a dress shoe with a slight heel… Sometimes you just HAVE to wear a heel…can’t wear flats to a wedding! 🙂

• Kirsten says:

How about a low, dressy wedge like this one by Trotters?http://www.zappos.com/trotters-lauren-light-grey-3d-patent-suede-leather

• Bev Bianchino says:

Hi Kristen….they are adorable…but do they have a metatarsal toe bar that runs across under the toes? Are they spacey for your toes?
        Thanks so much

• Bev B says:

Hi Kristin….thank you for turning me
          On to these…I purchased the champagne color….I am getting married in them…so comfortable..!!!

• Bev Bianchino says:

I too am looking for a black pump with the metatarsal bar inside….I know now that it is really important….I am starting ballroom dance lessons and need something feminine & with the bar……but for any other time I highly recommend Merrell shoes….I was told I would never wear sandals again….got lots in lots of colors….they are the best!
      Bev

• May Myer says:

I had to wear flats to a wedding and was surprised to see women of all ages who wore heels to the ceremony then brought flats for dancing to the reception! I have noticed it is becoming more common to see women of all ages choosing comfort and style over torturous heels.

• Martha S. Clark says:

I have Morton’s Neuroma as well as old, very skinny feet with a very high arch. All shoes hurt my feet, but the Vionics work the best for me. They have some they are trying to be cute.

2. Lisa says:

Check out the Hotter brand from Great Britain. Their catalog includes both adorable heels and flats in a variety of widths. I have a pair of their Rumba heels that I can usually wear at least a half-day at work. I’m a teacher, so I’m constantly on my feet. I’d definitely give the Hotter brand a look.

3. Nellie Andrews says:

Thanks for sharing this informative article about Morton’s Neuroma. I think choosing a perfect fit shoe may be helpful to overcome the disease.

4. Samantha says:

I’m having problems finding cute shoes that match my casual style, and that are good for Morton’s neuroma. I’m only 27 (and on my feet constantly as a SAHM of 2 little girls), and I have worn Chuck’s for the past ten years. And let’s face it, those are horrible for your feet. I also need to find cute flats and sandals so I can get rid of the ones I have that I really *shouldn’t* be wearing. I also just don’t like clunky shoes. :/
    Thanks for any addition suggestions you might have! 🙂

• Donna says:

try fit flops. Amazing for Mortons neuroma and came highly recommended by my podiatrist. A lot of really cute styles for sanders, boots and mules. Hope this was helpful. This is all I’ve been wearing. Trying to avoid surgery.

• Karen says:

My podiatrist told me never to wear flip flops of any kind (and I have 4 pairs of Fit Flops) ever again. They are so bad for your feet. He said I need to wear sandals with a sling back or a full shoe, but never a slide or flip flop. I had two neuromas in my right foot and had them removed in March 2016. After he told me no flip flops, of course I had to wear them, but I took note of how my foot felt and it was way worse then when I wore sandals with a sling back, so I stopped wearing the flip flops. He was right 🙂

5. Samantha says:

Some of the brands I have on my zappos wish list are Earthies (bindi or Bella I can’t decide…)Ahnu good karma, and Cobb Hill Ireland sandals. Are those decent choices for MN?

6. Rebecca says:

Thanks so much for this post. I have been searching for 15 years trying to find shoes that don’t hurt my MN. I like Saucony brand running shoes, specifically the Guide. I have also found some Ahnu flats very comfortable. I wear Crocs sandals to the pool and beach. They no longer make my style, however the Coretta and Meleen look very similar. I will check out your suggestions!

7. Patricia Spears says:

I bought Ecco BIOM Train to wear on a 3 week trip to Greece this Sept. They were fantastic! Light, lots of arch support and no pressure on MN site. But I need same shoe for winter. What do you suggest? I also need wide toe box. Thank you for this blog.

8. Shena says:

Thanks so much for all your info.

I have three neuromas! Also have custom orthotics, full and 3/4. I live in So. California where you can need sandals most anytime. Many of the sandals I’ve found are too wide, especially for my narrow heel, and medium but close to narrow feet. Any suggestions? (I realize it not sandal season.)

Thanks! I’ve learned so much from you!!

• Dawn says:

The only sandals I wear with MN (as a 48 yr old who works on her feet) are Merrells. They are stylish, not super expensive & most importantly, comfy! Use the link to read about the Qform, which is why I wear them!

• Charlotte says:

I realize this is a year later but I think Dansko still might still make a sandal with velcro, so that’s perfect for your narrow foot. I love mine, I have 2 pair and they sell them (or did) at Comfort Shoe Loft in Mission Viejo. Dansko has a lot of open toe cute shoes that have a 1 or 2″ high but are still relatively flat.

9. Janet says:

I’ve had Morton’s Neuroma in both feet. First of all, I’ve had a lot of luck using Correcttoes (https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes) which work like teeth braces for your feet, but are very comfortable.

Secondly, I never really wore high heels, so a lot of the advice for me missed the mark

And three, I’d like a search tag for shoes that seem to have a heel (so not flats) but where the angle of rise is low for the actual foot. I’ve had a lot of luck with this kind of shoe.

Four–I love this blog!

10. Ann says:

I have a narrow foot or at least a narrow heel. I have always purchased a narrow shoe to keep it on my foot, however, this has led to the scrunching of toes – especially in high heels. I also recommend Clark and Aravons as they come in narrow sizes. For walking I wear a high end Asics gel shoe which has a narrow heel and a bit wider toe box. Starting to think that most women with MN have narrow feet/heels and had to squeeze in to narrow shoes.

• Wynne says:

me too! I say I have duck feet, plus my right foot is bigger. which is one reason it has MN. I didn’t know I had MN til I fell on a ladder, smashed my toes, now have a crooked 3rd toe. I thought that was why it hurt so bad, but it finally got to the point I went to a foot dr. who diagnosed it. I got a steroid shot in it ($300 OOP visit) and now the top of my foot where the nerve is tingles. I have to be careful not to touch it. Only made me worse… A few weeks later my left foot started hurting too, but not nearly as severly, it’s different, more on the side. The only shoes I have found that give me relief are Taos Red WIllow Thelma. sandals. They have a 1 inch wedge heal, a TOE BAR that I think is what does the trick, the heel is recessed slightly and the back strap is cushioned. The whole insole is soft and cushy. Two adjustable straps. There is not a more perfect shoe for my foot. But I need a winter shoe that doesn’t have a narrow toe. I bought some Clark ankle boots but the right shoe is tight…. ugh

11. Valerie says:

I got a pair of Ziera Swallows in Black from the Shoe Mill in Portland, OR. I was not looking for such an expensive shoe, but they felt so good on my feet, I nearly cried. I’ve just got another pair (tip: if you have a medium-width foot, their equivalent is wide). I would have never found them, let alone gotten the right fit, if I hadn’t gone to a store with a knowledgeable saleswoman (Danielle). A year later, they didn’t have another pair in my size, so I searched quite a while to find an online store who claimed they did (Lucky Feet). They ended up ordering them from New Zealand, but I was happy to get them at all. They are flats, but sleek. They are great for winter, and with tights, can be worn with skirts.

12. Charlotte says:

Hi, can anyone recommend a style of athletic/walking shoes that is not obnoxious rainbow or neon colors? Something cute but conservative–I am 52. I am battling morton’s in one foot, but also have had plantar fascitis in the past so it’s good arch support I need too. Thanks!

• Charly says:

Try Altra Provision 2.0 and Torin 2.0

I am running half marathons with these and they work really well. Zero drop and extra wide toe box.

• Rhonda Krogstad says:

Where do you find those shoes

• Christine Starr says:

Yes, I completely agree with Charly. Altra shoes have a zero heel so your foot is totally level, not on a heel like most athletic shoes. I got mine recently from Zappos.com. I got the Altra Olympus 2. I put my own insert in them though, a SOLE insert from REI and they feel great!

• Rebecca says:

Altra shoes are foot shaped so they have plenty of toe box room. You can find them on Amazon too. I also use Pedag inserts with metatarsal pad, also found on Amazon.

13. cathy says:

Do kenkoh shoes work for MN?

• Lori says:

Cathy, the Kenkohs really helped me. I would recommend sandal with the strap in the back versus the flip flops. For awhile it was the only shoe that felt comfortable to me. They can take a while to adjust to (I suggest alternating them with other shoes thoughout the day if you can) but i really feel they helped massage/relive my neuroma. I have a pair in black but plan to buy another in brown. Not the prettiest shoes in town, but I was desperate to avoid surgery and relieve the pain.

14. Debbie Miller says:

Has anyone tries OESH?

• Jessica says:

I tried oesh and I wouldn’t recommend them. They seem comfortable around the house, but as soon as I wore them out for some light walking errands, my MN was killing me!

15. Janice says:

I developed MN in my left foot and my ortho wrote me a prescription for a 3/8″ metatarsal bar to be attached to any pair of shoes I own or want to buy. I’ve had this done for every pair of shoes I have and am now pain-free. And no it doesn’t look “orthopedic.” 🙂 You can’t even tell they are on there. You just need to make sure the outsole is not completely flat, in which case I insert a leather insole with a slight arch support inside the shoe instead (like with my house slippers). I mostly wear Dansko clogs, running shoes, and 2-3″ heels. I even had one inserted on my left hiking boot. I thought I would never run again after I developed my MN, but I’m back to my 3-4 miles a day once I had a met bar placed on my running shoe.

My cobbler uses met bars that are gray, black, and beige, depending on the color of the shoe’s sole. My ortho told me he has been Rx-ing this treatment for his MN patients for a couple of decades. Great way to avoid surgery, very inexpensive, and you are pain-free the minute you put your shoe on. You can also continue to wear the shoes you already own!

• Kirsten says:

This is so helpful, Janice. Would you mind if I passed your comment on to my friend who is doing writing for my blog and is looking for information on MN?

• Janice says:

Please do! 🙂 My ortho told me to take my left shoes to a cobbler! I thought it would be a big expensive orthotist type of treatment, but it wasn’t. I first took in my most used Dansko clog to try it out, and it was amazing the difference it made. This is nothing like having a support inside your shoe – the bar is placed on the bottom of the shoe so the entire foot is stable and the MN protected at the esame time. My ortho put surgical tape across the sole of my Dansko so the cobbler would know where to attach it. It places the force during gait further back on the metatarsal bones so the pressure is relieved over the forward neuroma area.

He recommended 3/8″ for me but if you take your most used or favorite shoes to your orthopaedist, (s)he can fit you for a bar with an Rx. The cobbler charged me 20$ for each bar he placed. I’m in San Francisco, which is pretty expensive here, so other places may be even less costly But honestly this has to be the cheapest medical fix I’ve ever had done for something that is a lifelong problem and can interfere so seriously with ADLs.

I became frightened when I started reading about MN, I figured my life as I knew it would be over 🙂 but not a chance. I was up at Yosemite over the 3-day weekend and we took the day hikes up to the falls and Mirror Lake and I had no trouble at all with my hiking boots (left one has met bar on it).

Good luck! Also, if somebody is writing about MN, perhaps you could link the blog here? I would love to read about it. I’m thankful I have an orthopaedist who is very conservative and wasn’t about to jump into surgery. 🙂

If you Google metatarsal bar and look at the Images, you’ll see exactly how it’s done. They can do it on all sorts of shoes.

• REbecca Paull says:

Hi Janice, I, too, live in SAn Francisco, and just developed what I believe to be a Morton’s Neuroma. Would you mind passing along the name of your Podiatrist?
          Also, what do you wear around the house?

Thanks so much for your help,
          Rebecca

• Carrie Kohlmeyer says:

Hi Janice,

I’m also in the Bay Area (Marin County) and would love the name of your podiatrist/orthopedist! Can you pass that along??? Would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
          Carrie

• Christine Starr says:

so the bar goes on the outside of the shoe?

• Christine Starr says:

Janice, does the bar goes on the outside of the shoe?

16. Charles Watkins says:

either I am too stupid, or you just carry no shoes for men that have pain in the balls of the feet after 3 foot surgery’s.

17. Dee says:

I order these thin, inexpensive insoles from Foot Smart for all my shoes and it takes care of the pain from my Morton’s Neuroma, better than the more expensive insoles my dr. recommended which had a larger, harder bump in the middle which was uncomfortable.

18. Shelly Smith says:

I too was have been diagnosed neuroma in both feet. I have been through cortisone shots, herbal shots, sclerotherapy treatments (yes, more shots) and now I am in physical therapy where I am getting “needling” done. I have tried several different types of shoes, insoles and the spreading the toes devices…I told my doctor and friends that I would try everything and anything before I have to go under the knife…any other suggestions? or advice? Thank you.

• Julie says:

I had surgery for a MN on my right foot 18months ago and although it was good for a while it’s more painful than ever now ! I’ve since spoken to a lot of people with the same result so I’d definately try to avoid surgery at all costs !

• Ann Woodie says:

I have Morton’s Neuroma. In fact I’ve had it for years. I went to a foot specialist and he diagnosed it and gave me cortisone shots. They didn’t work so I requested the vitamin NEURX which you can only get at the Dr’s office and it works. It takes about a month to get in your system and now I can push mow my yard and they tingle sometimes but it helps the real pain. I recommend this to anyone with Mortons Neuroma.

Ann

19. Jude says:

Kirsten, you are an angel for hosting this site! For all of us gals with issues. 😉
    Thank you! <3

20. Becky says:

I found this blog checking for sites that may be able to help me find shoes to fit me and help with my MN.
    I am 60 years old, have always had small feet which has been a nightmare in and of itself. I wear an adult size 4 or children’s 2. Right now, the only shoe I can comfortably wear with my orthodic support is a Children’s size 2 or 2.5 New Balance sneaker. Oh, and I also have an extra wide foot and high arch. There is nothing out there because shoe companies refuse to make a size 4 with an extra wide width. Children’s shoes have little or no sole’s with pads, arch support or any type of foot support, are narrow (except for the rare ones I’m wearing) and can only be found in pinks, purples, glitter and pictures of Barbie or Frozen on them. Please, please help me!! I refuse to having to wear children’s trainers for the rest of my life!

21. JUNE LEWANDOWSKI says:

I NEED A WIDE SHOE WITH A BOX TYPE TOE. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO LOOK ON THE NET. I HAVE CORNS (?) ON ONE FOOT FROM PRESSURE OF BIG TOE AGAINST THE NEXT TOE. HAD TO HAVE MINOR SURGERY LAST WEEK BUT HE SAID IT WILL COME BACK UNLESS I GET A LARGER “BOX” TOE SHOE FIT. CAN YOU HELP ME? I AM 84 YEARS YOUNG & DON’T DO MUCH WALKING ANYMORE BUT I WOULD LIKE TO.

22. Miriam says:

I have MN in right foot and I broke my left foot in November simply by rolling my ankle while walking. I am terrified of doing it again (I roll my feet a lot), so I need a really supportive shoe with a wide toe box. Don’t really want a heel. I have tried on Danskos and birkenstocks, but I can’t find a good fit. Either too small or too wide. All I can comfortably wear right now is an old beat up pair of new balance sneakers (I bought a new pair but they aggravate the MN). Not really suitable for work or this hot weather. Any suggestions? I am at my wits end.

23. Jennie Batsel says:

I am on my feet a lot at work. I have a large bunion that has contributed to my MN so I definitely need a wide toe box. I’ve been wearing Alegria shoes at work for several years. Mostly the Paloma and Classic styles. I’m pain free unless I wear shoes that aggravate my feet. I wear Crocs around the house. For sandals Merrels work well. For tennis shoes Brooks Adrenaline are good. Recently the best shoe for work and walking is the Altra Olympus tennis shoe. Love them but they don’t hold up as long as others. I would purchase these from a clearance house due to the cost but shorter life.

24. Ann Ericsson says:

I have needed all your advice and suggestions. Thanks! I have very wide feet and high arches and MN in the R foot. The MN pain is increasing, and I have no one good pair of shoes for walking or for looking nice. In the house, I wear a pair of Dawgs, Z style, which work pretty well, but the sandals are not for walking or looking nice.

25. Anne-Marie Freeman says:

Haven’t seen Vionics mentioned. But those, Dansko and Allegria are great! I buy my Vionics mainly online at shoeme.ca. They have funky styles too.I really like the idea of the met bar. Going to investigate that too. Thanks so much for posting this – there is very little out there! 🙂

26. Brenda says:

Like a lot of the people that have checked out your post (which is very helpful), I have my share (or, more than my share) of feet issues. My question is: what problem do you try to treat first? And then, how do you find a fairly attractive shoe that, of course, isn’t a sneaker – which is, of course, what we all really should be wearing!?

27. David Atherley says:

15 months of this , I read a lot of negative stuff on mortans neuroma surgery, is it all true ? What kind of work boots are good for construction? I do fire protection on buildings, I would love some feed back and what boots are the best . I am seeing a doctor. I am trying all the foot soles he recommends , what elese can I do , plus will this ever go away , my feet need to preform to get my job done

28. Maria says:

I seem to manage fine in the summer here in the UK but when winter comes I’m finding it hard to get a comfortable pair of boots. I’m sick of wearing trainers. I would love some boots if anybody can recommend a pair?

29. May Myer says:

Thank you so much for hosting this site. I have MN of the right foot and am recovering from plantar fasciitis of both feet. My Dr did a steroid injection for the MN and it has helped calm the terrible pain. I still cannot push pressure on the front of my foot. She has given me a great deal of information and did say surgery is not always the best solution and it that it can create other problems. She positioned a felt pad on my Super Feet insert, but the pad was too thick and caused pain. I bought a pair of gel plantar fasciitis inserts for under ten dollars and they provided nearly immediate relief for the fasciitis and MN. The gel is cushy and the PF inserts do not extend to the toe area. I have hammer toes and the gel front part of the insert provides elevation of the toes. I wear the gel inserts at home, and the Super Feet inserts in sneaks when I go out. Thanks everybody for suggesting brands of shoes.

30. Nancy says:

NAOT – their sandals work best for me – and I have MN on both feet

31. Dev says:

Dansko professionals are great for everyday wear. I also have several pairs of Sven clogs (custom order at Svensclogs.com). They make many attractive wooden heeled sandals, clogs, and boots.

32. Tanya says:

Wow, it’s great to see all of this info., thank you everyone for sharing. Can anyone tell me how to treat Morton’s neuroma when hammer toes and metatarsalgia are also issues? I went to a podiatrist and the metatarsal pad he put right beneath the balls of my feet – not under the pads, but beneath them at the top of my arch – caused excruciating pain. Do you think a metatarsal bar would help even with those other issues present?
    If anyone knows of a really good podiatrist in or near Sonoma county (not one who is needle and surgery happy), could you please post the contact info? Thank you!

33. Tanya says:

I made met bars this morning out of an old pair of gel pads and already I can feel the difference. For me, it worked to have it tapered in width (from shoe to floor, not toe to heal) with the thinner edge on the outside of my foot. Maybe this is how store bought ones are made…? I’m still curious to hear more info from others with the three issues I have. Thanks!